Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A couple of cultural experiences


            It has been a while since my last post, so I have much to update everyone on! We just finished exams that are a huge a weight off my shoulders, but in a sense bitter sweet since it means my time here at SFS is starting to come to an end. We now have a week long spring break followed promptly by a direct research project which entails a week of traveling while doing research and what I imagine will be a rather lengthy paper on the findings of our study. Needless to say I am thoroughly excited for it.
            Over the past few weeks I have many cultural interactions, and experiences all over Costa and Nicaragua. These interactions have helped shape my perspective and understand of the culture and society down here.
            The other day I was taking a cab into the center of Atenas (the town we live in), and a little small talk with the cab driver ended up turning into a friendly conversation about the presence of Americans that live in Atenas, and on a broader scale all the ones that live in Costa Rica. Granted this isn’t the case for all the expats but he had a rather negative view. He said that many move down here and don’t even bother to learn Spanish. He continued to say that it would be fine if they even tried to communicate but often times he said they never try or want to assimilate into the culture. The ones that live in Atenas mostly go into San Jose to do all their shopping even for groceries, which certainly does not support the community they live in. I just thought that was a valuable perspective to have, especially as I make my choice in where to buy and how to communicate. Often trying and failing is better than not trying at all.
            Another cultural experience is the time we spend with an English school. In Atenas there is a small government funded English school that Costa Ricans can apply to be apart of. It is completely free and costs them nothing but commitment; even books and supplies are paid for. The goal of the school is to assist the students to find a job that requires speaking English, especially now with globalization speaking English is a huge advantage here in the job market. Normally the jobs are tourism related or at calls center, both of these are very sot after. I think this is a great example of globalization and our effect on the rest of the world, considering many of these jobs in the service industry working for Americans in some manor. The relation that SFS and the English school have is a perfect! It allows us to practice our Spanish and understand the Costa Rican culture, and they get the benefit of practicing there English. Whether it’s a soccer game or hanging out in the park the time we spend with them is always a blast!

10 comments:

  1. Hey, Brett!

    I love hearing about all of this - and actually seeing it sometimes on Skype! Haha anyway, the expats conversation is really interesting to me, since I know some people who wanted to live in Costa Rica. That just amazes me that they don't assimilate more. Why would you move to a Spanish-speaking country if you had no interest in Spanish? And neglecting to buy local is an American tradition that I would really rather we didn't spread to other countries... that's really a shame. However, that English school sounds really cool! Are most of the students college-aged? It sounds like the perfect opportunity to meet some really interesting people. I think that's what I'm most jealous of - all of the awesome people you get to meet and talk to and interact with. People are the best part!

    Syd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sydney,
      I agree it really is shame that Americans tends to spread negative actions such as not buying local. I should say though from my experiences I have seen what the cab driver was talking about, and many other negative interactions that Americans create. But I have also seen some beneficial relationships. For example the chili cook off I wrote about in one of the first blogs. They raise almost $3,000 for a local orphanage here in Atenas. Also I have seen many American and other foreigners in local cafes, so in that sense they do support local businesses it is just on bigger ticket item that could be bought locally that they go into larger cities for.

      Delete
  2. Brett,
    I have enjoyed reading about your study abroad experience! Now that you are more immersed within the culture, have you ran into any expats that would verify this taxi driver's experiences? That would be neat if you actually had encounter someone to see what their views were on this issue. Also, how often do you go to this English school? I think both Sydney and I are curious to know the age range of the students there. It seems that in foreign countries, they all start learning languages at a younger age than we do in the United States. Does this apply there as well? Enjoy your last few weeks abroad! We are all so excited to see you back on campus next fall!
    Katie Anderson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,
      I have meet expats that fit into both categories. There certainly are ones that fit into the American idealism, but there are also some that have assimilated right into the culture and are viewed as a local, such as one of the spanish teachers at the school. The majority of the students in the english range from 18 up to mid-30s. The many had a little bit of english background from high school, but like our system the english they graduate with needs much more practice to attain a job using the language.
      Cheers,
      Brett

      Delete
  3. Brett,
    Have you had any trouble conquering the Spanish language? I know they say that there is no better way of learning a language than going to a country that speaks it and immersing yourself into but how is it different from a classroom setting? Are the local people helpful? Do they frown upon you when you mess up a simple tense or do they just smile and try to understand what your saying? Did you take any Spanish classes before you went, and if you did, were they any help to prepare you for something like this? From us living in an extremely linear society, where many believe if it isn't American don't bother with it, have you found the differences with the locals all over Central America more understanding of the cultural differences or do they hold fast to what they believe in and see Americans as outsiders? Take advantage of the beautiful weather and your experiences because too soon it's going to be over and your going to be back in good ol' Ohio! See you soon!
    Hannah Tumolo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah,
    I will start with saying that everyone down here has been really helpful and appreciative when I have tried to speak spanish. There have been several very funny mix ups while trying to say something, like the other when I mixed up the word for small pebble, and sh*t (my host family sure got a kick out of that). My spanish has improved dramatically since I have arrived in central America. I am not sure if I know much more grammar, but my confidence while speaking the language and causal day to day conversation has gotten much better. Being immersed in a culture is a perfect way to learn and build your abilities in a new language.

    Before I arrived I had taken several spanish classes that certainly aided me, but also as part of my program we have had informal spanish classes to help us with conversational spanish. The classes here are perfect the students in the programs needs, and are very different from a class one might take in the states. Our professors normally take us into town or park and assign us tasks that require us to speak to locals. I can assure you my face turns very red just about every class from making a fool of myself, but hey thats are of the learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brett! I completely understand the frustration of Americans living in a foreign country and refusing to learn the language. I am sure you have noticed this in tourists yourself, but in France and Europe in general I felt like tourists just "assumed" that people spoke English and would just run up to a shop keeper or waiter and ask for what they want in English. I found it disrespectful to just think someone speaks English because it is becoming the most dominant language, especially when you are in there country! I wonder how we could show the American's living in Costa Rica there wrongs, especially with the shopping. PS How is the spanish coming!? Have you gotten to practice much? Also, have you gotten to hang with locals or do you mainly stay with your program. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I guess its about time I commented on your blog!
    First I wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading it thus far and in less then two weeks I'll be seeing you in Costa Rica! Anyways, what I thought was interesting about your last post was what you touched on with your conversation with the cab driver. How many Americans are moving down there and don't even bother to learn Spanish, yet when people immigrate here, we become all offended when they do not adopt English right away. It is definitely a double standard that we as Americans should be held accountable for. I think being ignorant towards other cultures is how people become stagnant. Recently we talked about Ramo's book "The Age of the Unthinkable" ,which by the way you will be reading next spring, and it talked about this cultural revolution. It is something unavoidable and it is all about embracing the new ideas, new connectivity measures that are shaping our world. So what I'm trying to say with all this is that you simply being curious just goes to show a first hand experience of this globalization revolution. Your curiosity to actually learn about their culture will put you just one step further into better understanding the diversity in our world. Just thought I would share with you my thoughts. Good luck finishing up everything and I'll see you before you know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brett,

    I find it very interesting to hear about how people from there are not only willing but try to actually learn English because of Globalization, but yet Americans do not even try to assimilate into their culture. Something I wonder is if it possibly fear of failure that keeps us from trying? Is it that our culture is so linear and so focused on our own ways that we do not take the time to learn about others?

    I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!
    Sarah Campfield

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going off of what Sarah said, it's also interesting to point out that in America, we look down on foreigners who do not learn English. Now that we move into their country, we not only refuse to learn their language, but set up schools to motivate them to learn our language. Linear actives are very one-way in their thinking, and I imagine this would be very frustrating for natives like the cap driver.

    ReplyDelete