Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Update


The novelty of waking up at 6:30 everyday is wearing off. None to less I am still having a blast down here. As everyone knows a few Sunday’s a go was super bowl Sunday, and despite being several countries away I was still able to watch the great game on a projector (crazy what globalization has done). After Sunday the week started fast, Monday through Wednesday was filled with about 6 hours of class everyday. When I saw the schedule I am not going to lie I was a little intimidated, but the 18 hours flew by since all the classes were all so interesting.  As Denzel Washington said in Remember the Titians, “I don’t scratch my head unless it itches, I don’t dance unless I hear music, I will not be intimidated that’s just the way it is”.
             In class we spent the majority of the time learning about Costa Rica’s energy profile, which is surprisingly comprised of 80% renewable 70% of which is hydropower.  This makes Costa Rica one of the leading countries in alternative energies.
             After hitting the books hard for a few days we took a wonderful trip to Monetverde. This adventure started at 4:45 Thursday morning and was filled of excitement. The drive up there was three hours long on a single lane bumpy turny road with several hundred-foot drop-offs less than a foot away from the road with NO GUARDRAIL! If that didn’t keep you awake the breath taking views certainly would. While there we studied the tourism industry there and competed our tropical ecology lab. For my lab I investigated the effectiveness of drip-tips on leafs in the cloud forest, seeing if the size of drip-tip effected the amount of moss that grew on the leafs.  I spent three hours measuring the area, and amount of moss on leafs with a caliper (results will follow in next weeks post). 
            Once we were done trekking through the depths of a very dense moist forest we had a field lecture right in the middle of the reserve on the effects of tourism. Tourism has put Costa Rica in a strange situation. With 200,000 visiting every year tourism has become a good portion of their economy and has played a key role in their country’s development.  At first tourism seems like a great stimulus, but after time the detrimental effects show their face.  Tourism is rapidly growing and is changing small culture rich towns into cities that closely resemble that of an American city.  These changes are uprooting locals, and using massive amounts of resources, for example a golf course down here requires the same amount of water as a town of 3 to 5 thousand people.  In the end we concluded that tourism is an important and essential part of this country’s economy and development it just needs to be carried out in a sustainable way.
            To close out the week me and about 10 other students volunteered at chili cook-off to raise money for a local orphanage.  It was put on by a local community of retired Americans so it was far from a Costa Rican cultural experience, but it was none to less extremely funny to see fifth-teen or so 60 plus American women putting on this event that attracted nearly 1000 people who were mostly all Americans.  Everyone was in good spirits eating chili, and raising money for a good cause. 

6 comments:

  1. It was interesting to read that Costa Rica has 80% renewable resources. Being a petroleum major, renewable energies are a hot topic in the industry. How have Costa Ricans adapted their lifestyles to live with renewable resources and not be dependent on foreign oil? Also, is this a lifestyle you can see American's adapting to? Many people complain of high gas prices and our dependency on foreign oil but are not willing to make the necessary lifestype changes to make change happen. Just wanted to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I am not even sure if most of Costa Ricans know where their energy comes from. All of the renewable energy comes from one national energy company called ICE. They are just about part of the government which creates some issues, and they also get 80% of the 80% of renewables from hydro powers which has many issues of its own. So there energy supply is far from issue free. The little bit of oil they receive I believe comes from Colombia and is just about all for transportation purposes. So I am sorry I can't really answer you question much better than say they don't really change their life style because they have never really been dependent on foreign oil.

      Delete
  2. Brett, Your experiences so far in Costa Rica sound great! You have had the ability to learn so much first-hand, in addition to your everyday studies. What a great opportunity. I think it is very interesting that you brought up the side effects of tourism. I feel as though this topic is often overlooked (especially by tourists). As we have learned in class this semester, although globalization is great because the world becomes so much more connected, there are also so many detrimental effects that can be quite harmful, especially to the environment and local civilians. I think that is something that we should all remember. It is in these cases in which cultural sensitivity comes more and more into play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Brett!

    I'm so glad to hear that everything is going fantastically for you! Your trip to Monteverde and all of your environmental projects are especially exciting to read, considering the trip in May! Environmental leadership is very important in a region as lush as Costa Rica. I can't wait to hear even more about what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brett!
      Brett!
      I am reading through your blog and it makes me miss you even more. Absolutely cannot wait to see you in May. Like Mary said, we are also going to Monteverde. I've heard about this "road" of which you speak and I can't say that I'm too thrilled. I am so happy that you are having this experience, I know you are basically in heaven right now.
      You have talked a few times about how tourism has effected Costa Rica and I am not surprised at all that many American's who move down there don't speak any Spanish. They are the same people who complained about their immigrant neighbors not being able to speak English after living in America for a few years. People will always seek the path of least resistance, and if you don't HAVE to learn the language, most people won't.
      Anywho, I can't wait to see you and give you a big hug!

      Delete
    2. Brett!
      Reading about some of your stories has been fascinating! I cannot imagine trekking through any kind of rain forest, too many bugs! I guess it puts us all into perspective with the very slight geographical changes we face here in the United States. One of the very first topics that we have studied in Lead 203 is about Globalization and how the world is becoming in a sense flat. Your very first example about how you can watch the Super Bowl, a favorite American past time, all the way over there is quite impressive. It never ceases to amaze me that we have such a wide connection all over the world, and what men wouldn't do for a football game, let alone the Super Bowl! I hope you are having a fantastic time and staying safe from all of the bugs! (it must be a girl thing, or just a me thing) I can't wait to hear all of your delightful stories when you return to Marietta!

      Delete